Volunteers are crucial to the success of the Mission’s numerous transformational ministries. In 2014 over 52,000 volunteer hours, equal to $1 million in staff time, were recorded in service to those in need. To volunteer, please fill out the volunteer form below or you may reach Volunteer Coordinator, Patricia Moten directly by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday School Teachers
South Side Mission holds Sunday morning services in our chapel. We offer a Sunday school program as well. And while a lot has changed in the Mission’s 90 years, our need for Sunday school teachers has not changed. Would you be willing to volunteer on a Sunday morning to share the love of Jesus with the children that attend Sunday school?
- Help with mailings on a weekly, monthly, or quarterly basis
- Help answering the telephones on occasion
- Tutor to help teach GED math; Tuesdays and/or Thursdays
- Graders to help grade GED language arts; Tuesday and/or Thursdays
- Assistants to help with Ladies Day Out activities; Wednesdays 10:30am – 12:30 pm
Before School Ministries
- Group leaders to meet with youth in local schools; once a week 7:30 – 8:15 am
Elderly Services Ministries
- Churches to sponsor Bible studies, visits, and other activities at local retirement communities
- Registered nurses to help set up senior’s medication boxes
- Drivers to transport clients to doctor appointments
- Volunteers to send cards and encouraging notes and/or visit lonely seniors
- Registered nurses (or students) to perform monthly medical screenings at our food pantry and satellite locations
- Small group(s) to thoroughly clean two on-site kitchens every 2 – 3 months
Mission Mart Stores
- Merchandisers to sort, organize, and stock incoming donations; 2 – 8 hour shifts (daily, weekly, or weekends)
New Promise Center
- Churches, families, or small groups to sponsor, prepare and serve weekend meals to the women and children in our shelter
- On-call volunteers to help with various tasks – pick-up/delivery of goods, transportation for the elderly, various office needs, etc.
- After-school tutoring for English and math; daily 4:00-5:00 pm
- Youth group assistants for boys and girls clubs; weekly 4:30-6:30 pm or 5:30-7:30 pm
- Van drivers for transporting students to and from after-school activities
- Family mentors; meet with families twice a month for 6 months
Volunteers are the lifeblood of South Side Mission. They help in so many ways! Whatever your passion or talent, we can find a place for you. One of our greatest joys is helping a volunteer find his or her personal ministry to the poor. You need not travel overseas to be a missionary. All you need to do is travel south – to South Side Mission!
Because our volunteers and the people that we care for are important to us, we have a screening process that includes a background check.
Interested in finding your place at South Side Mission? Please contact us using the form below. We look forward to getting to know you!!
Patricia Moten – Volunteer Coordinator – e-mail – I was born and raised in Mississippi moving to Peoria in 1997 where I started my career on radio as an Accounts Executive/On-Air Personality. I soon discovered a passion working with students and families in District 150 schools as a teacher’s assistant. Having finished my education in Business Management, my love for kids and families remained. I served as a daycare teacher and in several capacities of Social Work before answering the call to faith-based service at the Mission in July 2015.
This is a time that we all need to stand together and fight the tyranny of events happening in our community. I pray that my contributions to this cause will be worthwhile and meaningful. To God be the glory!
Personally, I am the mother of 3 great children, Justin, Mercedes, and Jayda and am married to the awesome Michael.